I'm all about easy dinners these days and this one definitely fits the bill. All it takes is tossing all of the ingredients together, spreading them on a baking sheet, then popping it in the oven. Easy-peasy! This made more than enough for the three of us for dinner + leftovers. Hannah LOVED the chickpeas and would pick them out first :) On top of the veggies the chicken developed yummy, crispy skin while underneath the sweet potatoes developed a wonderful flavour and became buttery soft and the onions just melted. I'll be making this one again for sure.
Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas
- 4 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (about 8 pieces)
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3-5 tbsp olive oil (I found I needed 5 tbsp in order to coat everything, but you could use less)
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
Preheat oven to 400F. Toss chicken pieces, sweet potato, onion, chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, paprika, cumin seeds, salt & pepper together in a large bowl. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet, placing the chicken on top of the veggies - skin side up. Roast until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 50-70 minutes.
Adapted from Real Simple Magazine